WHERE DO I START??
Okay, okay..I know. Let's start with Wednesday, November 23rd. I took the day off from my normal-everyday secretary duties to spend time to prepare for Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful day; I felt like I was on a mission-a mission to create something great. H-E-B was calling my name and I couldn't drive there fast enough. I have this thought in my head that if you wear comfortable clothing, tennis shoes, and bring something to drink in your purse, then you are set to shop. Those are just the necessities. (Oh, and use the bathroom before you go too. I can't tell you how annoying it is to step foot in a grocery store and immediately you feel the need to pee.) Also, the most important items of all are your list and pen! An ipod is an item I would highly recommend too, only because its keeps the noise out and keeps you focused. I, however, searched high and low through Marcus' office to get his ipod (hi babe!), but turned out he took it to work with him. BUMMER.
So, this shopping trip was a breeze. I found everything I was looking for in a timely manner. I honestly was in no rush, per se, but mentally I was calculating and figuring out how much prep time and cook time it was gonna take me. (Not to mention I still needed to figure out my Thanksgiving outfit! I had to do all of this in one day!) Naturally, on my way to the register, I strolled through the wine aisles and decide that yes, I would like to arrive to my parents house with a bottle of wine in my hands. Then I had a second thought, that yes, I would like to arrive to Marcus' sister's house with a bottle wine as well. I never like to show up to family/friend get-togethers empty handed. H-E-B strategically placed like five men on every aisle to ask "if you needed help finding the wine you are looking for?" I never really know what to say, because I shop for whatever wine is the cheapest. Eventually, I was lured to the sample table and tried quite a few wines and decided to get pinot grigio for my folks and merlot for Marcus' sister.
Once I arrived home, it was just me, the food, and silence. I turned on some music, kicked off my shoes and got to work. What did I make you ask? Well, I made a Banana Nut bread for my boyfriend's family and an Apple Cinnamon Streusel bread for my family. Oh, and of course I made dressing for the Thanksgiving dinner. To be honest, the Banana Nut bread came out pretty decent, but I had the worst luck with the Apple Cinnamon Streusel bread. The streusel was cooking faster than the batter itself. I had to improvise in the end, and was not too pleased with it. I think the best thing was the dressing. The cornbread was so fluffy and buttery-made from scratch I might add- and the sauteed onions and fresh sage just added so much flavor to it. It was the easiest recipe I got online that turned out to wonderful!
Thursday, November 24th - In the past five years that me and my boyfriend have been dating, this has been the first Thanksgiving meal he has eaten with my family. We have always celebrated this holiday apart, for many reasons, and to have him be with all of us was really special. Thanksgiving means so much to my Dad. Other than eating so many great foods, he just loves having all his girls there. Not to mention that my beautiful Grandma and my Godparents, who flew in from Detroit, joined us. Marcus has always said that I get my emotional side from my Mother. Well he learned first hand, that no, it actually comes from my Father. Instead of one person saying the prayer this year, we went around the table and everyone said a little something. It was meaningful and brought tears to everyone's eyes. We have so much to be thankful for!!
I tried my hardest to pace myself, but it was wild. My plate was over flowing!! I did get a lot of compliments on my dressing, mostly from my little sister. (Hi Tress!) My older sister made some scrumptious dishes too. Overall, everything was flavorful and perfect. After we took pictures, laughed, and talked a bit, Marcus and I had to leave to visit his family, which is always a great way to end the night. Once we got there, we enjoyed some more eating, watched some football, and even tried to venture out for Black Friday shopping. (It was unsuccessful.) At the end of the night while we were driving home, Marcus asked me if I had a good Thanksgiving, and I replied, "Yes, I did." I mean, what more could you ask for? I got the best boyfriend, I was able to visit with two loving families, and everyone is in good health! Oh and the Longhorns kicked some Aggie butt!
I'm sorry I missed you Thanksgiving evening. You & Marcus had left already when I came by your folks house. I came for dessert ... and yours was delicious;(as well as Maguey's ). I enjoyed watching the game with your dad & talking with your mom, but like I said: I MISSED YOU! I hope to see you before year end. Facebook pics just ain't gonna do it for me! -- *LoL*
ReplyDelete