Sunday, January 26, 2014

Spicy and Sweet - Just like me!

Today, I woke up and had all these great ideas on what I wanted to do today: make breakfast, read, give myself a mani/pedi, wash dishes (it never ends), maybe start a new painting, watch a movie (When Harry Met Sally), catch up on The Real Housewives of Atlanta episodes - my possibilities were endless.

Let's take it from the top....

Growing up, Sunday morning breakfast at my house was either chaotic or calm. If we weren't rushing to get to church on time only being able to eat just a piece of toast, we were sitting around the table as a family eating the food my mother (and Head Chef of the family) prepared for us and laughing. My father, the DJ of the house with rather interesting radio station selections, would turn the jams up just loud enough for our conversations to be heard over the songs playing in the other room. (If you're wondering what the top three radio stations were, here you go: Hillbilly Hoe-Down, The Best of the Beatles, or Salsa/Latin/Tejano.....you're welcome).

Inspired by my childhood Sunday mornings, I decided for breakfast I would make a hearty meal while dancing to Salsa music! On the menu: Huevos a la Mexicana (basically scrambled eggs with salsa), papas, and turkey bacon.
*Life Lesson* If you are wanting to improve your time management and organizational skills, I suggest you cook the majority of your meals at home. In addition to not burning the house down (staying focused), you have to determine what to cook first (to-do list), which recipe(s) takes the longest (meeting deadlines), and if you have all necessary ingredients (being prepared).


After washing dishes, for the 100th time this weekend, I decided to watch - When Harry Met Sally. However, I feel so embarrassed to admit but I just wasn't as into it as I thought I was going to be. Instead, I read my book outside in the sun with my dogs in tow and a drink in my hand...lemonade that is! What were y'all thinking...
(Currently reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby.)


After awhile, I decided it was time for a snack - I am always in the mood for a snack. I made jalapeno poppers and oatmeal/cranberry cookies! Yes, random I know....don't ask! LOL. We have been on a health kick for awhile, but you know, on the weekends is usually when we get a little off track. Needless to say, the cookies weren't the healthiest nor were the poppers (well, maybe?) but DAMN they turned out great!


Since I was already in the cocina, I decided I would go ahead and make my lunch for tomorrow - a watermelon, arugula, and feta salad with a lime vinaigrette. The first time I had this "very easy to make"  salad, was at BJ's Brewhouse. So yummy and refreshing!

After lunches were made - let me interrupt this real quick: Can I just say that I am SO GLAD that Marcus has jumped on the salad bandwagon and actually enjoys eating them now? - ...yes, after lunches were made, I felt accomplished.

Now, to wait for this evening's dinner - a healthy chili made by my hunny. Have a great Sunday!

*Please let me know if you'd like any recipes mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment